You have already probably started or tried a diet of some kind only to find out that it didn't work for you.
Then later feel frustrated and guilty about not reaching the goals that you so desperately want to achieve.
You are not alone and I'm here to share why diets just don't work at the end of the day.
What is a "diet"?
Diet is defined as the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats. Also defined as, a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
Why I am against dieting
1. Many that start a diet will gain all of the weight back.
It's not really your fault. Diets are typically not made to be long-term and when not maintained, you will gain back anything that you have lost.
2. They can be harmful!
I have seen so many diets that claim that you will lose 10-20 pounds in a given week when you follow it. It's not at all healthy and can more harmful than good for you physically and mentally.
3. They can develop eating disorders.
When following all of these different diets, you might end up in a frenzy. Following a diet that is too restrictive will most of the time make you binge on foods later on. Following a diet that is too "laid-back" will make it so you aren't really reaching your goals and aren't getting enough of the right nutrients that your body craves.
4. Can make some rely on a "magic weight loss" pill.
At the end of the day, there are no magic pills or supplements that are going to allow you to eat whatever you want and lose the weight that you want to. Unless, you really want to put harmful things into your body and gain it all back as soon as you stop taking the supplement....
There are no short cuts and if you truly want to keep the weight off, without any crazy side effects - you are better to be as natural as possible about it.
5. It doesn't get to the root cause of your eating habits.
Your eating habits are ultimately what you got to where you are today.
Whether you eat the way you do because of how you grew up, you are crunched on time, you let your emotions get the best of you, or just don't know how to eat healthier for your goals. It's the reason you are not where you want to be right now.
The Diet Cycle
This what the diet cycle looks like for most people.
- I am not happy with the way that I look.
- I start to do research to start a new diet.
- I binge eat on everything that I know I won't be able to have on my new diet.
- I feel great sticking to the guidelines of my diet.
- The weekend comes around and I sneak a cheat meal because I was craving it.
- I start to feel guilty about it and tell myself to continue to make the cheat meal into a cheat day...
- The next day I feel like crap so I continue to eat what is not on my diet or guidelines.
- I end up gaining instead of losing weight.
Sound familiar? You are not alone! I can guarantee more than 50% of everyone has had this happen to them too when trying to follow a diet of any kind.
Why Your Habits Are The Key To Your Success
You aren't where you want to be and that's most likely why you are reading this right now. So I want you to think about the daily habits that you currently have.
- Are you running to the drive-thru on your way home from a long day at work?
- Do you eat while sitting in front of the TV while watching your favorite show?
- When you get upset and something is stressing you out, are you having a drink?
- What are you normally putting in your shopping cart while at the grocery store?
- Do you blame your upbringing as to why you are where you are right now?
No matter what, in order to change where you are right now, you will have to change what you are doing on a daily basis.
This doesn't mean that you will have to cut everything completely out and can't enjoy yourself. We know by now that will not help you at all!
You will need to build healthier and balanced habits that works for you, your lifestyle, and goals.
What Habits To Focus On
1. Focus on what you put into your body.
Keep a log of everything that you are eating and drinking on a daily basis. When you become more aware of what you are putting into your body, you will start to see what things you can cut back on or cut out completely as they won't help you to reach your goals.
2. Stock your fridge and pantry with healthier options.
If you buy healthy food, you are most likely going to eat it. After all, you spent your hard earned money on it right?
When you have healthier options all around you, you will start to naturally eat those better options too.
3. Surround yourself with those who have similar goals and struggles.
Most of the time I have found people are struggling because their friends and family don't understand why you would want to choose to eat healthier and lose weight. They love you just the way you are... but at the end of the day, you have to be happy with yourself and the skin you are in.
Everyone has their own reason for starting their own journey and there is no wrong answer. However, surrounding yourself with those who get you will make your journey that much easier!
Find a Facebook group, a gym/meal prep buddy, or follow the social media pages that resonates most with you.
You can always join the Top Knot Strong Community for free on Facebook for extra support and surround yourself with those who are on the same journey that you are!
Ditch the 'Diet' and get results!
At the end of the day, it is about your habits and not as much about dieting. If you develop better habits, the results will follow.
The best way to do this is by having something that better fits your goals, needs, and abilities!
Chat with one of our coaches today to go over a plan what will best fit you so you don't have to keep starting and stopping.